Om Sri Sai Nathaya Namah. We are pleased to Inform you that we are selling the Audio Discourses of Sai Banisa in English & Telugu. Now you can Purchase the English & Telugu Audio Discourses through the Gift Shop from Right Side Bar.
LIFE IS AN ENDLESS JOURNEY. YOU ARE ONLY A TRAVELLER ACQUIRING DIFFERENT FORMS IN THE PROCESS.

Sai Darbar TV

Sunday, August 10, 2008

SAI IN LETTERS (01-10)

SAI IN LETTERS - 1

OM SAI

Hyderabad

06 January 1992
Chapter 1

Dear Chakrapani,
07 June 1990 Thursday is an unforgettable day in my life. I commenced daily devotional reading of Sri Sai Satcharitra from that day. I thought of ways to inspire you to undertake daily devotional reading of Sri Sai Satcharitra . These letters are the result from that thought process. I intend to write 48 letters, representing 51 chapters of Sri Sai Satcharitra.

Please read the chapter of Sri Sai Satcharitra corresponding to the letter, before reading my letter. Then you will understand my experiences with Sri Sai, leading to growth in you of faith in Sri Sai. You will come across one question, on the relationship between Sri Sai and you, in the Prologue to Sri Sai Satcharitra. My answer to that question is in the following 3 sentences:

(a) Your relationship with Sri Sai is that of between father and son.
(b) Your relationship with Sri Sai is that of between GOD and you.
(c) Your relationship with Sri Sai is that of between Master and his Slave.

I opted for the relationship of the third category, i.e. between Master and his Slave.

You may be troubled with an issue of daily devotional reading of Guru Charitra (Preceptor's Life History) mentioned in the prologue. It is very difficult to implement the practices mentioned in the Guru Charitra. Sri Hemadri Pant wrote the Sri Sai Satcharitra in Marathi language for dispelling these difficulties. Sri Pratthi Narayana Rao translated this book into Telugu language as Life History of Sri Sai Baba and drove away our difficulties. If we do daily devotional reading of Life History of Sri Sai Baba it is equivalent to daily devotional reading of Guru Charitra.I must tell you of few incidents before elaborating on the contents of the first chapter. I think these incidents will generate enthusiasm in you. I heard of Sri Sathya Sai Baba's name in 1964 when I was studying in a college at Kakinada. In those days many people spoke either admiringly or derogatorily of him. I did not show any interest in these discussions. I wondered whether GOD can exist in human form and whether Sri Sathya Sai is GOD. Sri Sathya Sai appeared in my dream same night (1964) and touched me on my shoulder. I felt flow of electric waves in my body and could not withstand the effects thereof. Sri Sathya Sai said to me - You have not reached the stage to understand Sai Philosophy, until then you cannot worship Sai -. I did not know anything about Sri Shirdi Sai in 1964. I completed my education in1965 and embarked on my career. One of my friends gave me a picture of Sri Shirdi Sai in 1989. I hung that picture on a wall in our house. As I started looking at the picture, HIS enchanting smile gave rise to lots of thoughts. I started searching for meanings of those chains of thought inspired by looking at the picture. Then I recalled what Sri Sathya Sai told me in my dream in 1964. The course of my life took a new turn in 1989. An unknown person appeared in my dream, on one night in 1989, and said - Your water tank is empty, fill it up with fresh water-. Sri Shirdi Sai compares Human mind to water tank, and fresh thoughts to fresh water. I accepted Sri Shirdi Sai as my Master with these new thoughts.Sri Hemadri Pant tells at the beginning of the first chapter of Sri Sai Sathcharitra that Sri Sainatha is Sri Ganesha. That's why before commencing any task think of Sri Sai and offer your prayers to HIM - it is same as thinking of and offering prayers to Vinayaka ( another name of Ganesha). Paying respects to elders is in our culture and tradition. Sri Hemadri Pant followed that tradition and reminded us about our forgotten traditions.

If today I am comfortable and happy, it is as a result of blessings received from my grand father Sri Ravada Sitaramayya, grand mother Smt Saraswatiamma, father Sri Ravada Venkat Rao, mother Smt Ramanamma, uncle Sri Upadhyayula Pereswara Somayajulu and aunt Smt
Kameswaramma. I bow and pay my respects to all of them. In the first chapter Sri Hemadri Pant has also paid his respects to all readers of the book. I pay my respects to all elders and my blessings all younger than me, who read these letters of mine. Sri Hemadri Pant described Sri Sai Baba as an incarnation of Sri Dattatreya.

When I was once in meditation Sri Sai said - Tranquility is becoming rare even in forests nowadays. Therefore my devotees must set up an altar for Sri Dattatreya in each house and peacefully meditate on HIM -. So I believe that Sri Sai Baba is an incarnation of Sri Dattatreya. Sri Hemadri Pant described the episode of grinding of wheat by Sri Sai Baba in the first chapter of the book. I hope that you have understood the inner significance of wheat grinding. When I was meditating on Sri Sai on this subject , HE gave me a message, which I am narrating to you , so please listen carefully. - You become wheat to be ground in a grinding mill called society, become flour to be converted into Bread for my devotees-. Each Sai Devotee, understanding significance of this message, must strive for the welfare of fellow human beings and do justice to the society.

You can see the grinding mill, used by Sri Sai Baba for grinding wheat, even today in Sri Sai Samadhi Temple (Dwarakamayi) in Shirdi. Many devotees visit Shirdi to see and pay their respects to that Grinding Mill . When I paid my respects to that Grinding Mill in Dwarakamayi I remembered a question posed by Bhakta Kabir to his disciples. He asked - What is wrong in worshipping a grinding mill made of stone, which gives wheat flour to people in society, when we worship idols sculpted from stone? -. Once Sri Sai Baba , while narrating events of his previous births, said - I was Kabir in my earlier birth and used to spin yarn-. That means Sri Sai when born as Kabir used to say - Individuals in a society are like a yarn, to be fed into a loom for being woven as good cloth.- When he was reborn as Sri Sai Baba he said - All Sai devotees in society must be ground in a grinding mill to become flour for conversion into bread for fellow human beings.-

Pani, I have so far narrated events about Sri Sai Baba described in the first chapter by Sri Hemadri Pant and messages revealed during meditation to me by Sri Sai . Contemplate once again about contents of this letter and ask yourself about how much of good use you can be for the society. Ask Sri Sai for an answer to your question, receive HIS answer and try to implement HIS message.

With this I am closing my experiences on the first chapter. I may get new revelation tomorrow and I will try to convey them with reference to context to you. Please look forward to my second letter tomorrow.

In Service of Sai,
Your Father.

SAI IN LETTERS -2.

Chapter 2
7th January 1992

Dear Chakrapani,
Sri Hemadri Pant wrote about himself, the proposed writing of the book, his real name, how he acquired the name of Hemad Pant and the necessity of Guru (Master) in the second chapter of Sri Sai Satcharitra. I need not write about myself in this letter. You know me since you became aware of the world and have seen the change in me after July 1989. What type of person your father was before July 1989and what change change has occured in his life after July 1989 need not be elaborated in detail to you by me. You have seen the change in me but you do not know the compelling reasons responsible for the change in me. My eagerness to explain all those reasons is finding its place in these letters. Hemad Pant contemplated many times about his competence or lack of it to undertake writing of the book, prior to commencement of writing of this book. In my case I am taking the idea of conveying information about Sri Sai to you through the medium of letters as my competence and am writing these letters. Many people have written many books about Sri Sai Baba, please read them. Also read these letters being written by your father. In my opinion Sri Sai is the relationship between father and son. As a father there is nothing wrong about my informing you about such Sai. Hemad Pant had the inspiration from Shyama and Blessings from Sri Sai for writing Sri Sai Satcharitra. In my case your mother encouraged me to write these letters. Whether blessings of Sri Sai are there or not can only be known through these 48 letters I intend to write. Only myself, yourself and the future will be the only witness. Hemad Pant wrote in the second chapter that he is greatly indebted to Sri Nanasaheb Chandorkar for inspiring him to visit Shirdi and have Darshan of Sri Sai Baba and that he cannot repay this debt. There is a similar incident in my case. I am indebted to our neighbour Sri Bhonsale, Accounts Officer in ECIL. Matters pertaining to EGO were discussed in the second chapter. I will now narrate how Sri Sai removed my ego, so please read carefully. I used to boast with pride to everyone that everyday I give Harati to Sri Sai at 5 AM in the morning and at 9 PM at night. Once the alarm, which was set to go at 5 O' clock, went off instead at 5.30, which resulted in my giving Harati to Sri Sai at 5.45 in the morning. On completion of Harati when I looked up at the portrait of Sri Sai, HIS looks conveyed - What is matter today, you are late in giving Harati - and thus crushed my prideand ego. Sri Hemad Pant says in the second chapter of Sri Sai Satcharitra, that he was witness to Divine Leelas of Sri Sai, which filled him with happiness. That happiness itself prompted to write this book. I have not seen Sri Sai in person. We cannot see HIM in person now, but I have personally experienced happiness through HIS Divine Leelas and that happiness has prompted me to write these letters. Then shyama's inspiration and Sri Sai's permission enabled Sri Hemadri Pant to write Sri Sai Satcharitra. Now your mother's encouragement is enabling me to write these letters to you.

In service of Sri Sai,
Your Father.

SAI IN LETTERS -3.

OM SAI

Hyderabad

08 January 1992
Chapter 3

Dear Chakrapani,
I will write to you today about the incidents narrated in the third chapter of Sri Sai Satcharitra. Sri Sai says -Believe in what I say. Writing of my LEELAs will drive away ignorance. Those who listen, with DEVOTION and INTEREST, these LEELAs will have their attachment to worldly things reduced. Unflinching devotion will rise as waves of LOVE. Those who get fully immersed in MY LEELAs will get Pearls of Wisdom -. I believe 100% in these utterings of Sri Sai. I will strive till my last breath to acquire these Pearls of Wisdom. Sri Hemadri Pant writes -GOD assigns different tasks to different devotees, He assigned the task of writing this Satcharitra to me-. I think that Sri Sai has assigned me the task of writing these letters to you. LightHouses are essential for guiding those travelling by sea. Similarly stories of Sri Sai are lights of beacon for guiding those crossing this ocean of Life. Sri Sai took care of HIS devotees as HIS OWN Children. Sri Sai took care of all needs of Sri Hemadri Pant after he retired from Government in 1916. I humbly pray to Sri Sai to grant me the oppertunity to happily dedicate myself in service of Sri Sai after my retirement from Government service in the same way as HE has done in the past for Sri Hemadri Pant. Contemplate on the message of Sri Sai through the Rohilla story. -Each person must pray to GOD daily, but such prayers should not be like shrill shouts of a shrew. There should be tranquility in prayers to GOD-. The main aspect of discourse given by Sri Sai to his devotees is - Remember well that I know whatever you do and wherever you may be, Everything is known to ME-. This one sentence is enough to live with faith in Sri Sai. At the end of third chapter Sri Sai showed the right way to live life. HE instructed his devotees to concentrate fully their sights on HIM, after shedding laziness, excess sleep, ever-fluctuating mind and excessive attachment to sensual pleasures of the body. Sri Hemadri Pant's last sentence of this chapter is - Let Sri Sai be installed in everyone's hearts-. Let us, you and me, install Sri Sai in our hearts.

In service of Sri Sai,
Your Father.

SAI IN LETTERS -4

OM SAI

Hyderabad

09 January 1992
Chapter 4

Dear Chakrapani,
I could write about only about a few things in the letter written to you yesterday. Today let us recapitulate the fourth chapter. Sri Hemadri Pant had vividly described the duties of enlightened souls. - GOD incarnates Himself in different ages / periods of time for protecting the Righteous and punishing the Wicked. This is Kali Yuga (age of Kali), if GOD undertakes the task of of punishing or eliminating the Wicked, then more than half of the population on this earth would have to be punished or eliminated. This would endanger the Human species itself. Hence GOD incarnated as an enlightened soul Sri Sai for converting the Wicked into the Righteous ones as an ongoing task. As a result lots of people are being converted to become righteous. Advent of Sri Sai has made a remote village called Shirdi into a vibrating place of Holy Pilgrimage. My attempt to describe the countenance of Sri Sai will be like showing a candle to the glowing full moon. Sri Hemadri Pant very nicely described Sri Sai's looks in the fourth chapter of Sri Sai Satcharitra, please read the chapter carefully and visualize for yourself. Devotees from far and wide, from all corners of India, came to Shirdi up to 1918 for seeing Sri Sai Baba in person. Today devotees from all over the world are coming to Shirdi seeking blessings of Sri Sai. Gouli Bua, a 95 years old devotee, said in those days -Sri Sai incarnated to shower HIS Mercy on destitute and poor. This statement is literally true. While Kakasaheb Dixit was in meditation in those days, Sri Sai appeared as Vithal of Pandharpur. After a while on the same day a vendor of photographs came along with a photograph matching exactly with the vision he had in meditation. Kakasaheb Dixit purchased that photograph, installed it in his altar and started worshipping the same. While I was meditating in 1991, Sri Sai appeared as SHIVA and told me to worship the visualized form. When I went to Shirdi in December 1991, I was delighted to see in a shop a photograph of Sri Sai as SHIVA matching exactly the vision I had earlier that year. I bought the photograph, installed it in my altar and started worshipping it. When I read Bhagawantrao Kshirsagar's story I felt that what Sri Sai has said then could amply be applicable to my life. My father, a devotee of Sri Sai, passed away in 1974. We did not worship Sri Sai in our house from 1974 to 1989. Sri Sai did not perform HIS LEELA 's and Miracles to show HIS greatness. These LEELAS and Miracles were performed as demanded by the situation for lighting the spark of Enlightenment in the devotees. One such Miracle was flowing of waters from Ganga and Yamuna from the toes of Sri Sai in response to Das Ganu's wish to bathe at the confluence of Ganga and Yamuna at Prayag. How lucky is that Das Ganu for having experienced this miracle. Devotees of Sri Sai tried in-vain to find out about who were Sri Sai's parents, where was he born and from where he came to Shirdi. Actually who can be parents of GOD? How can GOD be born? Such questions about birthplace of GOD and HIS parents are proofs of stupidity and ignorance. Sri Sai told his devotees that HIS Preceptor / Master meditated and practiced Penance in an underground closed chamber under a Neem tree in Shirdi. Today that place is called Guru Sthan (Master's place) by Sai devotees. I went for the first time to Shirdi in 1989 and had Darshan of Sri Sai in Samadhi Mandir. I commenced daily devotional study of Sri Sai Satcharitra on 07 June 1990. When I was asleep once in 1990, Sri Sai appeared in my dream and showed me that underground chamber under Neem tree in Shirdi. That vision coincided exactly with the description of the underground chamber in Sri Sai Satcharitra. This incident has firmly convinced me that as Sri Sai spoke to HIS devotees in 1858, HE continues to do so even today although HE attained Samadhi earlier. The place where Sri Sai Samadhi Mandir stands today in Shirdi was once a beautiful garden lovingly tended by Sri Sai. This act of tending a garden with love by Sri Sai is a clear direction given by HIM to mankind that they should lovingly serve not only fellow human beings and animals but also plants and trees which too have a life. A true example of Loving and Conserving NATURE. Hoping that you too will tread the path shown by Sri Sai.

In service of Sri Sai,
Your Father

SAI IN LETTERS -5

OM SAI

Hyderabad

10 January 1992
Chapter - 5

Dear Chakrapani,
I will elaborate today on the fifth chapter of Sri Sai Satcharitra . Due to similarity in the incidents narrated in this chapter and the way Sri Sai entered my life, my devotion and belief in this chapter is great. Hemadri Pant narrated first the episode of Chand Patil searching for his missing mare and the manner in which Sri Sai helped Chand Patil in this matter. There is an issue for serious contemplation in this episode. Chand Patil was a wealthy man and it is a fact that he lost his mare. He could easily have bought, if he wished, ten mares of the type he lost. Then why did he search for his lost mare only? One needs to think deeply on this aspect. Probably Sri Sai's view of Chand Patil is that of an individual who has satiated himself with all worldly pleasures. Sri Sai drew Chand Patil into HIS fold for igniting spiritual thinking in him, creating aversion to worldly pleasures and completely freeing him from Arishad Vargas (six types of behavioral patterns). Dada Kelkar says in the 21st Chapter of Sri Sai Satcharitra that a Mare can be compared to the Divine Grace of GOD. In Sri Sai's view what Chand Patil has lost is GOD's Grace. Hence we must understand that Sri Sai took Chand Patil into HIS fold for making him get back his lost Grace of GOD. Hemadri Pant writes that when a Fakir ( Sri Sai ) arrives, along with Chand Patil's marriage party , at the Khandoba Temple in Shirdi. Bhaktha Mhalsapati addresses the Fakir - Welcome Sai - thus welcoming HIM with reverence. People of Shirdi started calling that Fakir as SAI BABA from that day. Today the name SAI has found a permanent abode in the hearts of millions of Devotees. Arthur Osborne came to India in 1957, stayed in Shirdi for a long time gathering material on Sri Sai and wrote a book in English titled The Incredible Sai Baba. Hemadri Pant describes Sri Sai's daily routine this way - Sri Sai visited Rahata, situated 3 miles away from Shirdi , brought saplings of Marigold, Oleander and Jasmine, prepared beds for them in Shirdi, planted them and watered them. A beautiful garden took shape at that place as a result of Sri Sai's loving efforts -.

Now Baba's Samadhi is at the same place. Just pause for a moment and think about the message conveyed to His Devotees by Sri Sai through this episode. Human lives are like flowering shrubs. They need protection and loving care for their growth. They should bloom like flowers, without selfishness for reaching the Lotus Feet of the GOD. As a beautiful tree which shelters all without selfishness and ultimately merges with the Mother Nature, so is Sri Sai's life spent in selfless service of HIS Devotees upto HIS attainment of Maha Samadhi. Hemadri Pant describes the episode of installing Padukas at the base of the Neem tree. -They decided to install Baba's Padukas at the base of the Neem tree as a memorial to the fact that Baba meditated under that tree when He first came to Shirdi. They decided to get Baba's Padukas sculpted from stone -. There is parallel to this episode in my life. On a saturday in July 1989, the day of commencement of the first journey to Shirdi in my life, I started as usual to go to Hanuman Temple and Maisamma Goddess Temple with Rs 4 in my pocket. (It was my habit to visit every Saturday Hanuman Temple for offering worship with Rs 2, then go to nearby Maisamma Goddess Temple for lighting a lamp with Rs 1 and give Rs1 as alms to an old poor lady.) While entering the Hanuman Temple as usual, poor old lady who always sits under the Neem tree wished me as always. After completing worship and paying Rs 2 to the priest, I came out with balance Rs 2 and approached the Neem tree for giving Rs 1 as alms to the poor old lady. When I was about to give Rs 1 coin to the por old lady I saw an old poor man, dressed in Khaki shirt & Khaki shorts, with grey beard, a cloth piece tied on his head, a shoulder bag with him, a tin container on floor near him, a short stick in one of his hands and stretching the palm of his other hand in front of me asking for alms. I was now in a dilemma as I had two Rs 1 coins and if I gave them as alms to the poor old lady and the poor old man, what would I then give for lighting a lamp in Maisamma Goddess Temple? I thought for a moment and then gave the two coins in my hand as alms to the poor old lady and the poor old man. As I was coming out I was troubled with many thoughts. Who was the poor old man under the Neem tree, who was not there when I entered the Temple? I had never seen him before. With these thoughts I looked back and that poor old man smiled while looking at me.

I was captivated by an unknown power from his face. I reached home with many thoughts going through my mind. The moment a thought occurred that the poor old man could be Sri Sai Baba, I went back to the Temple. By then the poor old man had gone away. I asked the familiar poor old lady about the poor old man, wearing Khaki shirt & Khaki shorts, and her reply further astonished me. Her description of that poor old man is this - That poor old man was dressed in White Dhoti , White Vest, cloth piece tied on his head, a shoulder bag with him, a tin container in his hand, a short stick in his other hand came and sat next me. He enquired from me whether any of the visitors to that Temple give alms. I replied that a gentleman entered the Temple a little while ago and after coming out he will give me Rs 1 and if you ask him you will also get Rs 1. How lucky is that poor old lady, Sri Sai Baba actually sat next to her. He took Rs 1 as alms from me without my realising his true identity. Thereafter I searched for that poor old man on many Saturdays but have not seen him even once till now. I firmly believe that Sri Sai Baba himself appeared that day to take Rs 1 as alms from me and smilingly blessed me. Thus Sri Sai blessed me under a Neem tree in DAE Colony in Hyderabad on the day I commenced my first ever journey to Shirdi and I resolved to install Padukas of Sri Sai under that tree. The way this wish of mine was fulfilled by Sri Sai is even more astonishing. I asked friends for assistance for getting Padukas of Sri Sai sculpted from marble and for installing them under that tree. Not only did I get any help but also many hurdles came in the way. Not knowing how to proceed further in the matter, I stood thinking under that Neem tree on a certain Saturday. Sri Sai prompted the priest in the Hanuman Temple to suggest a way out to me.The priest came out of the Temple, approached me under the Neem tree and made two requests to me. Firstly he wanted me to purchase for him a pair of footwear as his feet are becoming sore by walking bare feet on hot earth. Secondly he wanted me to purchase kerosene stove for him as he was facing immense difficulties in cooking. I was elated on hearing these two requests realizing that Sri Sai ordered me to provide new Padukas(Foot wear) to the temple and arrange for the holy Dhuni (Fire).
I purchased both the items next thursday and when I helped the priest to put on the new foot wear I got the satisfactory feeling as if I have installed Padukas of Sri Sai and when I presented the kerosene stove to the priest, I got the feeling of arranging a Dhuni in a newly built Sai Temple. Now think about the significance of Sri Sai lighting lamps using water instead of oil. There is nothing wrong in asking for help in performing Divine Tasks of GOD. Such tasks should not be stopped because help is not forthcoming. The task should be completed from within whatever means one has instead of complaining that something or the other is not available and stopping the Divine Task. Sri Sai asked the merchants for oil needed for the Divine Task of lighting the lamps in the Mosque. Merchants turned down HIS request. Still HE had unflinching devotion and belief in GOD and hence could light the lamps using water as fuel. HE never castigated the merchants for their refusal to give oil. Although a Fakir named Johar Ali, who was not as enlightened as Sri Sai was, called and treated Baba as his disciple, HE was never hurt and proved HIS equanimity by not being moved by either praise or disrespect. Understand that having faith in feet of Sri Sai Baba, who dedicated HIS life for service of HIS Devotees, means having faith in humanity.

In service of Sri Sai,
Your Father.

SAI IN LETTERS -6

Hyderabad

11 January 1992
Chapter 6

Dear Chakrapani,
I think I wrote mainly about my experiences with Sri Sai in my letter yesterday. Shall I tell the purpose of my writing about my experiences to you? Sri Sai performed many Divine Leelas till 1918 when HE was present in human form amongst people. Today HE is not amongst us anymore. The thought that HE is not amongst us should not come to Sai Devotees. Every Sai Devotee must share his experiences with other Sai Devotees for fostering and sustaining the thought that HE is still amongst us. Following this dictum has resulted in my letters being filled mostly with my experiences with Sri Sai. Hemadri Pant says in this chapter - When conversing with anyone only tales of Sri Sai come to mind for citing as examples. When I intend to write about some matter, without HIS Grace & Inspiration I can write neither a word nor a sentence.
I understood this statement to be literally true in my life. I consider that Sri Sai's Grace & Inspiration alone are making me write these letters. Sri Sai's words - Food and Clothing will always be adequately available in MY Devotee's house -. The absolute truth in this statement can be understood by comparing the situation in my house prior to 1989 to the situation prevailing today, and I believe in Sri Sai's statement to be eternally true. Hemadri Pant described gloriously the Sri Rama Navami celebrations in Shirdi. This brings to mind how Sri Sai got Sri Rama Navami to be celebrated in our house in 1991. I will now narrate a small miracle performed by Sri Sai on that day, so pay attention. Previous night Sri Sai appeared in my dream in the form of an unknown person and told me - Rama and Lakshmana will will come to your house to accept your offerings -. Next morning is Sri Rama Navami and I told your mother that Sri Sai would come to our house in the form of two brothers, like Rama and Lakshmana, to accept our offerings. After telling her I completely forgot about the issue. That night after completing the Arati your mother and myself were discussing about the Sri Rama Navami celebrations in our house on that day when your mother suddenly asked me whether Sri Sai did come to our house and accepted our offerings or not. I did not remember this issue till then. I started to recapitulate immediately who all were the guests who came to our house that day from morning to night. My surprise was limitless when I remembered that my friend Sri Raghuraman, along with his two daughters, visited our house in the evening and left after accepting our offerings. My heart was filled with Bliss the moment I recollected that his daughters were twins, and Sri Sai has visited our house in their form. I prostrated myself immediately at the Lotus feet of Sri Sainath and expressed my gratitude. In those days Sri GopalaRao Gund attained Bliss by serving Sri Sai. Whether this Gopala Rao will attain Bliss or not by serving Sri Sai will depend entirely on Grace and Blessings of Sri Sai.

In service of Sri Sai,
Your Father.

SAI IN LETTERS -7

OM SAI

Hyderabad

12 January 1992
CHAPTER - 7

Dear Chakrapani ,
I wrote only about few incidents in my last letter. But by now you must have realised that Sri Sai's words , said then and now , to be eternally true. I will have to write many pages if I have to cover all important episodes in the life of Sri Sai in this letter , hence I cannot write about them now . Even though HE was actually an incarnation of GOD, HE never claimed that HE was GOD. HE always used to say that HE was only an obedient servant of GOD and GOD is above all. Sri Sai, in his initial days, used to examine the sick and ailing people in the village and give medicines to them. By HIS example HE had indicated to HIS devotees to consider SERVICE to MANKIND as SERVICE to GOD. HE could not see HIS devotees suffering from illness and hence took on those illnesses on HIMSELF for giving relief to HIS devotees. Periodically HE used to perform Yogic Practices of Dhouti (cleaning of intestines) and Khanda Yoga (separation and attachment of limbs) for cleaning HIS body of ailments taken on from devotees by HIM. His immense Love for children can be well understood by the two incidents. Firstly during Deepavali festival in 1910 the way HE saved the life of a blacksmith's son, who accidentally fell into the furnace in a village faraway from Shirdi, by thrusting HIS hand into the Dhuni in the Dwarakamayi in Shirdi. Secondly the manner in which HE transferred bubonic plague bubos from the body of Khaparde's son to HIS body for relieving the suffering of the boy. Sri Sai used to play with small children in Shirdi and HE used to enjoy the pristine love radiated by the children. Now I will write about something that many people do not know. Prior to 1908 Sri Sai Baba did not permit anyone to worship HIM. In 1908 a 6 year old boy named Bapu Rao, recognized Sri Sai Baba as GOD and started worshiping HIM every day by placing one flower on HIS head and saluting HIM. That act of worship started by small boy Bapu Rao acted as a beacon for worshiping HIM by millions of Sai devotees today.

In service of Sri Sai,
Your Father.

SAI IN LETTERS -8

OM SAI

Hyderabad

13 January 1992
Chapter - 8

Dear Chakrapani ,
I cannot write about my experiences in this letter, as Hemadri Pant described about the daily routine of Sri Sai and about the relationship between HIM and HIS main devotees in those days. Hemadri Pant, who was closely associated with Sri Sai says about the human body - Do neither neglect the body, nor pamper the body but take good care of it adequately just as the horse rider takes good care of his horse till the destination for the journey is reached -. At this stage I will remind you of some incidents when you were a child. After you learnt riding a bicycle you used to go to a cycle shop, rent a bicycle, ride it carefully, then return it to the shop and settle the hire charges for the duration of your usage.

Similarly for travelling on this highway called LIFE, we rent a cycle called BODY for 100 hours (100 years) from GOD. Unfortunately we ride that cycle (Body) carelessly thus damaging it and returning it to the shop keeper (GOD) without completing 100 hours (100 years). Having faith and trust in preceptor called Sri Sai, will guide us to Entire class good care of the cycle (Body) and we can ride the cycle (Body) smoothly on the highway (Life) as long as we live. Sri Sai never tolerated idleness. GOD has given us good intelligence and also time for using it properly. Just imagine the consequences if you permit a disease called idleness to take root. Idleness causes us to imperfectly perform our tasks, which leads us to tell lies for survival in the world. Once idleness and lying (lack of integrity) take firm root in our lives, this will lead to stealing. One's life is totally ruined once habits of idleness, lying and stealing are acquired. That's why do not ever permit idleness to enter your life. Just try and imagine what Sri Sai used to do in the afternoon, when he was alone as devotees had gone to their houses after the morning programme. At that time He used to take a thread and needle and carry out repairs to HIS torn Kafni (item of clothing). By chance if any devotees were around at that time and offered to do the repairs HE never agreed saying - Never let a devil called idleness to come anywhere near you -.
Hemadri Pant wrote in detail about Baba going around the streets begging for food. Sri Sai used to place all the food collected in an earthen vessel in Dwarakamayi. Firstly the woman, who cleans the mosque, took some food from the vessel, and then dogs & cats in the mosque took some food from the vessel, whatever food left in the vessel was then mixed by Sri Sai and partook it. HE never cared for taste and never thought about the taste of what that is being eaten. That's how Sri Sai used to eat his food. Now I will narrate an incident of my childhood. When I was studying in 7 Th standard, Science Master was explaining about Balanced diet in the lesson. I was not at all attentive in the class on that day, and did not listen properly the lesson being taught. At the end of the class, Science Master wanted to test whether I was attentive or not and asked me - What is Balanced diet? -. I had not been attentive when the lesson was being taught, I will have to give some reply otherwise I will have to stand up on the bench as punishment for not being attentive in the class. I thought for a moment and replied - Balanced diet means mixing all the items of food in a vessel first and then partaking the same -. Entire class burst out in loud laughter. If any of those classmates of mine of that day have become Sai Devotees today and if they go back to that day and recapitulate the incident now, I wonder what would their reaction be today. Tatya Kote Patil and Mhalsapati used to sleep in Dwarakamayi every night with Sri Sai. They used to sleep with their heads eastwards, westwards and northwards respectively and their feet touching each other. When I contemplated on reasons for this unusual sleeping arrangements the answer I got is - There is life on the earth in Easterly , Westerly and Northerly directions, but there is no human life at the South Pole-. Sri Sai knew the secrets not known to us and hence HE never slept with His head in Southerly direction.

In service of Sri Sai,
Your Father.

SAI IN LETTERS -9

OM SAI

Hyderabad

14 January 1992
Chapter - 9

Dear Chakrapani ,
Hemadri Pant narrated experiences of Sri Sai Devotees in this chapter. I have not experienced specifically the aspects covered in the chapter but after reading about the need for begging I feel like writing to you about one incident. I had a dream while sleeping at night on 05 October 1991 . I saw Sri Sai , in the form of my mother who gave birth to me, standing next to a Mosque and looking at me. A lame beggar was near the Mosque and was pleading pitifully in the name of Sri Sai for alms. I was looking at my mother. My mother (your grand mother) said looking at me -Why are you standing like this? Today is Saturday, why dont you give some rice to that poor fellow? Thus she ordered me -. I woke up with a start. I have started a practice of putting one fist full of rice grains for Sri Sai in a shoulder bag kept aside for Sri Sai, everyday after daily devotional reading of Sri Sai Satcharitra. I used the rice so collected in the shoulder bag for giving as alms to poor , and for preparing offering to Sri Sai on Festival days such as Sri Rama Navami , Vijaya Dashami etc.. and the consecrated offering was then distributed to Sri Sai Devotees . I believe that Sri Sai has ordered me this way to do Annadanam ( feeding the needy and uninvited guests ). I have faith that Sri Sai will give me the strength for me to abide by HIS order to feed the hungry till the end of my life . Hemadri Pant writes at the end of ninth chapter - See GOD in all beings -.

I will write about my experiences on this aspect . These events had occurred in my life during 1991. It was summer time and extremely hot during noon hours. I was going out of the house. There was a dirty water drain in front of the house and a white bull was drinking the dirty water from the drain to quench thirst. I felt bad at that sight. Even though an idea occurred that Sri Sai has come in the form of bull in front of my house, I ignored the thought, didn't even bring a bucket of good water from inside for the bull to drink and proceeded on my work. Next day I went to Bhopal on duty and during the return journey I bought a glass of buttermilk at a railway station to quench my thirst. I noticed then that stall owner was washing used glasses in a bucket with dirty water and selling buttermilk in those glasses to the travelers in the train. After drinking that glass of buttermilk, repentance rose in my heart for not even giving a bucket of good water to Sri Sai in the form of a bull, which was quenching thirst from dirty water drain in front of our house and I felt very sad. The sadness felt brought about a change in me. That incident was the cause for arranging an open good water storage basin in front of our house for animals to drink clean water. I will now write about an incident that occurred on Deepavali in 1991. Your mother and myself were worshipping Lakshmi (Goddess of Wealth) that Deepavali night at 8 PM in the upstairs room of our house. The priest was reciting holy mantras (verses ) where as my mind was concentrated on Sri Sai Baba's photograph hanging on the opposite wall . Even though worship of Lakshmi was in progress my mind was seeking blessings of Sri Sai.
May be for proving the point that Sri Sai never refused wishes of His Devotees, Sri Sai in the form of a pale orange coloured frog was jumping around close to my feet. My mind was filled with uncontrolled happiness. Sri Sai's own words - Only those who can see HIM in all living beings such as Dogs, Cats, Cows, Pigs, Flies etc., realize that HE is omnipresent and offer food to them before partaking it themselves, are HIS true and dear devotees. HE exhorted everyone to give up dualism, that you are one and the remaining living beings are the other, realize the UNITY and serve HIM -. I understand the significance of this statement on seeing that frog. It was Deepawali day, it did not rain that day, there was no rain on preceding ten days, the period was past monsoon time when appearance of frogs is common, worship was taking place in upstairs room and how can that frog appear from nowhere at that point of time and at that place. This incident is enough proof for Sri Sainath fulfilling wishes of HIS devotees as only Sri Sainath could assume the figure of frog and appear in front of me in response to my desire for HIS blessing on that day. This is my firm belief. I will now relate another incident, which occurred on 22 November 1991. That day , as per the direction received from Sri Sai during daily devotional reading of Sri Sai Satcharitra, I went to Sri Panduranga temple in Secunderabad . When I was approaching the temple a lame dog followed me and stopped outside the temple. I looked at the lame dog with kindness and entered the temple. The priest was not present in the temple. I asked the attender to fetch the priest. That day instead of the priest, his polio afflicted son came limping, entered the sanctum - sanctorum and performed the worship ritual. At that time I visualized Sri Sainath simultaneously in Panduranga's idol, in the lame priest's son performing the worship ritual and in the lame dog waiting outside the temple. This incident had fortified my faith in Sri Sai and made HIS statement - Serve ME giving up dualism that you are different from all other living beings - to be literally true.

In service of Sri Sai,
Your Father.

SAI IN LETTERS -10

OM SAI

Hyderabad

15 January 1992
Chapter - 10

Dear Chakrapani,
I must write about some details of Sri Sai in this letter . The details of Sri Sai's life , written by Sri Hemadri Pant in the tenth chapter, are more elaborate than the details I am going to write . Hence please read carefully tenth chapter of Sri Sai Satcharitra . Sri Hemadri Pant says - We will safely reach our destination in life if we have full faith in Sri Sai to steer the journey -. You must understand well this concept. That's why I will give you one fine example. While undertaking long distance train journey, we reserve a berth in sleeper coach by paying additional charge for ensuring peaceful sleep during night and have a comfortable journey. If we do not pay additional additional charge for a berth in sleeper coach, we would have to travel in an unreserved general coach, which is always overcrowded with no place to stand even most of the times. We must realize that those who pay charges called Shraddha ( Devotion ) and Saburi ( Patience) to Sri Sai for ensuring their journey of LIFE comfortable are all our Sai Bandhus ( Sai relations or Sai Devotees ).

No one knew in those days when Baba was born or who are Baba's parents. Hence Hemadri Pant did not give any details on these aspects . Some say that when GOD incarnates as a Man amongst mankind HE must be born to parents. Others do not agree with this view. In this matter I cannot discuss which view point is correct, but can give examples to support both view points. What I am going to say is not from my personal experience or revelations during meditation , but from epics and scriptures and gleaned from study of history. Incarnations of Sri Rama and Sri Krishna belong to the first category i.e.. details of their parents, place and date of birth are known . Cases of Saints Namdev and Kabir belong to the second category i.e.. historical records of the present times say that they were not born as normal human beings. Namdev and Kabir were found as small babies floating in Bhima and Bhagirathi rivers respectively by their foster parents. In such a situation it is not important to debate on which category Sri Sai belonged to.

It is enough we believe that Sri Sai is an incarnation of GOD. Hemadri Pant wrote about Baba's mission and advice in the tenth chapter. I am one of those who believe that the easiest and best path for attaining liberation is chanting Sri Sai's name and follow HIS teachings , as in this age of Kali one cannot easily practice Yoga , Sacrifices and chanting of Mantras (Divine verses) properly.

In service of Sri Sai,
Your father.


Sai Banisa's Mission:
"To help Sri Shirdi Sai devotees in realising that Sai lives in their Heart."

No comments: